Credits: 5 (210 Clock Hours)
Self-Paced: 5-month completion deadline
This course prepares students for employment in the pharmacy technician field. Through direct instruction, interactive skills demonstrations, and practice assignments, students learn the basics of pharmacy assisting, including various pharmacy calculations and measurements, pharmacy law, pharmacology, medical terminology and abbreviations, medicinal drugs, sterile techniques, USP 795 and 797 standards, maintenance of inventory, patient record systems, data processing automation in the pharmacy, and employability skills. Successful completion of this course prepares the student for national certification for employment as a Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPhT).
Throughout the course, you will meet the following goals:
- Describe the role of the Pharmacy Technician.
- Identify key aspects of the pharmacy environment.
- List and describe body systems and the drugs used to treat illnesses.
- Explain how to classify various drugs.
- Understand how pharmacy laws impact pharmacy work.
- Know how to interpret and process prescriptions.
- Perform pharmacy calculations related to measurements, dilutions, dosages, and conversions.
- Analyze inventory management systems, and know-how to maintain patient records.
This course requires the same level of commitment from you as a traditional classroom course would. Throughout this course, you are expected to spend approximately seven to ten hours per week online on the following activities:
- The externship includes a mixture of instructional segments and tasks
- Assignments in which you apply and extend learning in each lesson
- Assessments, including tests and cumulative exams
Earn Your Certificate Online
Upon completion of this individual course, students will be awarded a certificate from The Washington Technical Institute.
Certification from the accredited Washington Technical Institute will signify the student's achievement in both knowledge and competence.
This certificate is valid in all 50 States, *but restrictions apply to online pharmacy programs in Washington State.
Course Format: Self-Paced Online Course
Students are able to work on their courses on a flexible timeline and complete courses at their own pace. The staff at WTI is here to support you along the way, so always be sure to reach out when you need help.
Online tests are conducted at the end of each course.
Students are not required to attend any scheduled class meetings. Log in at your convenience to attend school.
Washington Technical Institute offers the PTCB-Recognized Education/Training Program for the Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPhT) credential.
PTCB is a registered trademark of the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board
*Washington State students are required to complete the pharmacy technician program in person. The State of Washington does not approve any online pharmacy technician programs. The Washington Tech pharmacy technician program is available online in all other states with the exception of the State of Washington.
Enroll Today and Advance your Career - Text/SMS Questions to 952-465-3702
Get More Information
Washington Technical Institute is Regionally accredited by the Middle States Association CESS, and licensed by the Minnesota Office of Higher Education as an institution of higher learning